members.png
Dec 25, 2018

Compression artifacts at 1080p

16 comments

Hi all,

after my first trip with the K2 installed, I am a little bit disappointed about the video quality because of compression artifacts.

When the area beside the road is clear (e.g. open fields), everything looks nice and clear in the video. But as soon as there are more objects (e.g. much trees with leafless branches) the video gets blurry in some areas. Below are some examples.

For me it seems, that the bitrate isn't high enough to compress/save all the details.

The vidos of my K2 are recorded with a bitrate of max 12000 kbps, while the videos of a friend of mine are recorded at up to 24000 kbps (using a Sony ActionCam).

My SD-Card is a SanDisk 32GB HC I (UHS Class 1)

Firmware of K2: K2.20180925.V0.39

Examples

Its hard to see at that resolution here in the forum. You need to see it at full screen. Watch the lower right side of the road and the number plate of the incoming car.

Recorded at 60 km/h.

ArtifactsArtifacts

In comparison this picture without artifacts, recorded only some seconds later. Same road, same speed. Everything looks fine. You can see every detail of the road.

No ArtifactsNo Artifacts

Another example. Again hard to see at that resolution. You need so see it at full screen.

The roadside at the lower left and right corner looks blurry. Recorded at 30 km/h.

And in comparison the same road without artifacts, some seconds later

Everything looks fine and the roadside is very detailed. You can nearly count the grasses.

Any suggestions what I can do against those artifacts?

I tried to check whether the K2 does a better job in 720p or not, but I cannot change the resolution (see other topic)

Regards,

Frostie

Dec 26, 2018

For me it seems, that the bitrate isn't high enough to compress/save all the details.
The vidos of my K2 are recorded with a bitrate of max 12000 kbps, while the videos of a friend of mine are recorded at up to 24000 kbps (using a Sony ActionCam).

Sony ActionCam and the K2 are not comparable, The K2 has lens and DVR jointed by 3 meter video cable, which was limited to transfer high big rate video data.

For the screen shots you uploaded, the difference was cased by the slight sun/light direction and difference. the lens is not smart enough to adjust itself. in some section, it is clear enough, some section is not.

As mentioned, we can upgraded the video regulation to be 2K or 4K, but it is not able to transfer such data via video cable, and we are not able to get the reliable recording. We choice such design for hiding installation on motorcycle, we have to live with that.

Dec 30, 2018

Hi Rock,

thanks for your explanation. I got your point about the cable length, but I am curious now.

What kind of data do the cameras send to the DVR? Raw Data or MJPEG or something else?

I guess that the NT96663 within the DVR will do the final H.264 encoding.

Regards,

Frostie

Mar 6

I am not with you, Rock, that the compression artifacts in my videos are due to different sunlights. And that the cable length between the cameras and the DVR is the bottleneck, which would cause the artifacts.

The compression artifacts (as the name says) come from the H.264 encoding, which is done by the NT96663 within the DVR and not by the cameras. So the cable can´t be the bottleneck here. Maybe if we would talk about 2k or even 4k. But not at 1080p.

Given that, I first took a look at the technical specs of the NT96663. And that shows clearly, that the NT96663 can do a higher bitrate than what the K2 is using.

So I modified the V39 firmware and increased the default bitrate of 12kbps to (currently) 20kbps myself. And guess what happened? That compression artifacts are almost gone now, even when there are much details within the video (trees with branches, bushes, etc). Maybe I should raise the bitrate a little bit more to completely remove them. The drawback is, of course, that the size of the video files increased accordingly. 15 Minutes now takes 2,3GB instead of 1,4GB. But that is not important for me.

I also did a modification to solve my problem with the 720p resolution (https://www.innovv.com/forum/innovv-k2/resolution-always-revert-to-1080p)

simply by creating two firmware files with a fixed resolution of 1080p or 720p and a appropriate bitrate.

And the end, I was able to solve the problems myself. But it is disappointing that I had to, as there were not willingness from Innovv to solve them.

Regards,

Frostie

Mar 13

Hi Frostie,

Sorry for delayed reply as the forum fulfilled spamming messages.

It is amazing you edited the firmware yourself!!

We are very interested in your edition, do you mind send it for our testing? We'd like to see how it goes well.

Click below link you can upload the bin file.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/Ge24zlDutU0o8pShpR3U

I should say our engineers are not skilled as you are. I'd like to be honest.

Mar 13

would be interested in a higher bit rate as well if this can be done. I’ve noticed the video can get very grainy in some situations.

Mar 14

@Rock Liu

Just to avoid any misunderstandings. I am neither a developer nor an engineer. I am only an IT professional and stubborn in solving problems.

After I knew that the NT96663 could do higher bitrates than 12MBit (just read the technical specs) , I searched the Internet about information how to increase the bitrate. And as the Novatek chips are widely used in various dashcams, I was able to find plenty of information. All I had to do was to apply these information to the K2 firmware.

So the credits have to go to the people in the net, as they did the main work. I am only a beneficiary.

But I am curious why you are interested in the modified firmware. For Innovv, as the developer of the K2, is should be only a fingertip to increase the bitrate. Just change the value in the appropriate registers and compile the firmware.

Anyway...you will find the download link(s) below.

Load more replies
Mar 15

@Frostie, Thank you for such input, we will do further testing and keep discussion.

• Had the K2 for 5 days now. Overall its pretty good. I have a few issues that I need to look into. 1 - The lens seems to black out in the bottom (say 4 and 8 O'Clock) A bit like the lens has Glaucoma... 2 - I start my bike, put helmet, gloves on, ride off, but recording doesn't start until I am a few miles away, has to be at least 5 minutes after setting off, and maybe 6 minutes after starting the bike. An I supposed to wais 6 minutes before setting off? 3 - I have to do something with how I transfer the files, WiFi just doesn't cut it. My bike (R1250GS Adventure) automatically powers off after X minutes, not sure exactly how many, to preserve the battery, the WiFi hasn't managed to transfer a 3 minute file before the bike powers off. I cant view from the bike, stream, as it doesn't stream, it just jitters from frame to frame. I have an iPhone XS Max if that makes any difference. So far I have not been able to download or view any recording, only when setting up on live view. On the plus side, it only took 30 minutes to set up on the bike, only having to remove the tank panel. Does anyone have any thoughts on my three issues?
  • After the firmware v61 update, I noticed the blue light on the power transformer never goes off - no matter how long the bike is off. Is this normal? What could possibly be powering this other than my battery?
  • I'm at a slight disadvantage, as my bike is still in a container ship, travelling back to the US, but I'll see if I can make my point clearly enough. I've been told that if I connect to the K2, using WiFi, and the K2 App on my cell phone, that the time would be correctly set within the K2. I'm afraid that this is not correct, at least it's not correct under a few sets of circumstances. First of all, in certain parts of the world, you need to set your phone to override the current time, and set it manually. For instance, all of China uses a single timezone (Beijing time), but my iPhone got confused, and thought that there were multiple time zones, and so, I had to override the time setting. As a result, although I connected my iPhone to the K2WiFi, and then enabled the IOS app, and selected settings, I still ended up with a situation where the time on the K2 was at least 1 hour different from the time on my phone. Throughout my trip, I often tried to get the time of the K2 to be properly set, and I think that I achieved it only once. In all other cases, it was between 1 and 2 hours off. So, my question is, why don't you allow me to set the time, or select the time zone within the K2, rather than relying on using the Phone? As IOS versions on the phone change, it is likely that they'll handle time zones differently, perhaps forcing you to make odd choices in some cases, but if I was able to manually set the time zone in the K2, we eliminate any chance that the system will have the wrong time. The outcome, if you want to set the time, connect to the K2 over WiFi, set the time, and exit. It's just about perfect, and it addresses all of the possible irregularities that exist as we travel around the world. Thoughts?
© INNOVV TECH CO., LTD @ 2013~2019
  • w-tbird
  • w-facebook
  • w-googleplus